- 2 3/4 cups of flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of salted butter
- 1 cup of packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup of fake molasses (needs ½ a cup of brown sugar & 1/3 cup of water)
- 2 ¼ teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 2 ¼ teaspoons of ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon of ground cloves
How to make fake molasses:
(1) Place ½ cup of packed brown sugar on a ceramic plate.
(2) Add ¼ cup of water onto the plate.
(3) Steam the contents of the plate. Stir and wait to liquify.
(4) Let ¼ cup of fake molasses cool. Set aside.
(1) In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, ground cinnamon, ginger powder, nutmeg, and ground cloves. Set aside.
(2) In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar.
(3) Beat in egg and fake molasses into the wet ingredients. Gradually blend in dry ingredients.
(4) Place 1 tablespoon sized piece of dough on a baking sheet.
(6) Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until golden at 175 degrees Celsius or 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
(7) Set aside to cool before removing cookies from the baking sheet.
This recipe was adapted from Allrecipe.com's Easy Sugar Cookies, Allrecipe.com's Big Soft Ginger Cookie, and Feministy's No Molasses Ginger Snaps (Spice Cookies).
This recipe was altered to fit the resources found in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.